Find the best office chair for back pain on this site. I reviewed 5 different products, which can help you to improve your back pain while sitting in front of your desk. A good chair with good back support is crucial for a healthy spine during our business working days.
No. 1: AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair
Modern office furniture leaves much to be desired. Because of their lack of adaptability and solid shapes they are causing us to adopt poor posture when we sit at them. And because we sit at them for many hours a day every day, that poor posture becomes second nature to us, which then goes on to cause us all sorts of back, neck, and leg pains.
As a result, many of us are trying to replace our standard office chairs with something a little more friendly towards our backs. One example of the many items being sold as ergonomic is the AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair. However despite its claims, a closer inspection has revealed that if you are looking for an upgrade for your desk chair, you may want to find something a little more specialist or expensive.
👍 What’s So Great About The AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair?
- CHEAP AND STURDY: The AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair is an inexpensive option for office or home seating, but it is still robust and reliable. It will offer you some solid back support and allow you to lean back and relax when you need to take the pressure off your back for a while.
- BREATHABLE AND COOL: Because of its mesh back and the materials it is made of the AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair is breathable and cool, making it perfect for warm or humid work environments. It is also simple to wipe clean, preventing the buildup of debris and stains which can happen with fabric coated office chairs.
- STANDARD OFFICE CHAIR FUNCTIONS: The height can be adjusted, as can the lean in the back. The chair comes with wheels which you can choose to use or not to add. It offers acceptable lower and mid back support for people of an average height, but it does not go much above and beyond what you expect from any office chair.
👎 What’s Not So Great About The AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair?
- 225 POUND WEIGHT LIMIT: The 250 pound weight limit on most ergonomic chairs is already bad enough, but this chair can only support up to 225. What is more, due to its shape it is not at all adapted to suit people with wider hips. If you are someone with a heavier build then you will want to avoid this chair, as there is no guarantee that it will support you.
- NOT VERY ADAPTABLE: There are very few chairs which are wholly adaptable to your body whilst being inexpensive. But the AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair does not offer any fitting options besides raising or lowering the height of the chair, and relaxing or tensing the amount of flexibility in the back of the seat.
- SHORT WORK LIFE: Even though it is very robust, it does suffer wear and tear quite quickly. The seat padding begins to flatten quite fast, and the arms and mesh back begin to wear down and come away a little after only a year of use. If you want something to last you a few years, then you will need to invest a little bit more in a better quality chair.
🤔 Is The AmazonBasics Mid-Back Mesh Chair A Great Purchase?
You get what you pay for. This is by far not the most ergonomic or comfortable chair, and is not much of an improvement over standard office furniture. Unless you are upgrading from a rigid backed wooden chair and do not have the money to spare, you may want to get a higher quality chair with more support than this one.
No. 2: Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Mesh Swivel Task Chair
Modern office chairs were not designed to support our backs. They were designed to keep us in the right position to type for eight hours a day. They were also designed to be cheap to manufacture, easy to transport, and easy to store. Unsurprisingly, a chair made with zero consideration for our physical shape has some terrible consequences for our backs, legs, and necks. Many of us regularly suffer back pains, neck pains, and other problems related to sitting in an unhealthy position for too much of the day.
If you are looking for a healthier alternative to the standard office chair, then the Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Mesh Swivel Task Chair has you covered. This chair is designed to look much like a typical office chair, however it includes features which make it more comfortable and healthier to use for prolonged periods of time.
👍 What’s So Great About The Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Mesh Swivel Task Chair?
- EXTRA SUPPORT: Compared to standard office chairs, this one offers extra support, especially for your lower back, which is most at risk in a standard office chair. The arm rests also allow you to lean back and take some pressure off your shoulders and neck, which is a must if you spend much of your day writing.
- DISCRETE AND SLEEK: This chair does not look too different to a standard office chair, and does not look bulky or medical. Many people are put off using ergonomic furniture because they find it to be unattractive, or do not wish to draw attention to themselves at the office. Because this chair is a mid-back swivel chair it is virtually indistinguishable from an ordinary office chair.
- ADAPTS TO YOUR BODY: The cushioned seat and flexible mesh allow you to sit back and will adapt to the shape of your body, ensuring extra comfort. The chair’s height can also be adjusted to prevent the uncomfortable 90 degree angle at the hips and knees which is so common with non-adjustable office furniture.
- COOL AND CLEAN: Because of the mesh back this chair will be very cool when compared to office chairs with more padded backs, making it ideal for hot or humid environments. It is also wipe-clean, making it perfect for everyday use and unlikely to accumulate staining or dirt.
👎 What’s Not So Great About The Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Mesh Swivel Task Chair?
- NOT VERY ADJUSTABLE: Even though it is an improvement on a standard office chair, besides the fact it is soft, you can flip the arms up, and you can adjust the height, the rest of the chair is not very adjustable. You cannot account for width, and if you are much shorter or taller than average then you may find it does not hug your body properly.
- HEAD REST NOT INCLUDED: The head rest is a separate part from the rest of the chair. This may make the chair lighter and more discrete, but it also means that it does not offer continuous, full-back support. This means it is not ideal for people who suffer from upper back pain or neck tension, as they will not get much relief from it.
- WEIGHT LIMIT: As it relies on a single support leg which is not particularly strong, users over 250 pounds may find that the leg wobbles too much, or even becomes deformed with use. This is especially a risk if you like to lean back in your chair. Besides that, when the arms are down they restrict the width of the chair, making it uncomfortable for larger people.
- SEAT PADDING WEARS: Some users have noted that the padding on this chair flattens fairly quickly compared to similar products. Depending on your weight and how often you use it, you may find that the padding in the seat becomes flattened and deformed after only six months.
🤔 Is The Flash Furniture Mid-Back Black Mesh Swivel Task Chair A Great Purchase?
To be honest, you could do better for the price. You may also want to consider buying something just a little bit more expensive and ensuring you get more complete back support.
No. 3: Gaiam Balance Ball Chair – Classic Yoga Ball Chair with Stability Ball
Modern office life is not exactly natural. No animal was made to sit, day in day out, in the same position, barely moving at all. The amount of time we spend passively sitting has been argued to be in part to blame for the obesity epidemic, metabolic syndrome, and the chronic aches and pains which plague office workers. And modern office furniture does not exactly help. Did you know that people report more frequent and more painful back pain between 35 and 55 years of age than at any other point in our lives?
In order to counteract all this sitting still, some new products have emerged which keep us in motion as we work. Standing desks and treadmill desks have turned out to be more than a little impractical, and in the long run may be worse for us than typical chairs. A better solution is a Gaiam Balance Ball Chair, which allows you to sit back and rest without staying in the same position too long.
👍 What’s So Great About The Gaiam Balance Ball Chair?
- KEEPS YOU MOVING: One of the biggest issues with standard office chairs is that you sit almost perfectly still. This lack of movement is not natural for a human. Think about how you are when you stand, or sit on the floor. That slight movement is far more natural. The Gaiam Balance Ball Chair keeps you moving slightly despite being sat down.
- COMFORTABLE: Unlike standing desks, treadmill desks, or any other range of work exercise options, the Gaiam Balance Ball Chair is actually really comfortable to sit on. Because it is an inflated ball it offers some support and some give, meaning that no part of your hip or butt is put under uncomfortable pressure.
- ENCOURAGES BACK STRENGTH: The slight movement and lack of constant full back support encourages you to make use of your own natural back supports: your muscles! As these muscles strengthen you will find your posture improving in the long term, not just when sitting, but also when standing and walking around.
- 300 POUND WEIGHT LIMIT: A lot of ergonomic furniture and exercise furniture has a 200 or a 250 pound weight limit, meaning it is unhealthy or even dangerous for larger people to make use of. The Gaiam Balance Ball Chair has a 300 pound weight limit, making it a fantastic option for larger people who wish to benefit from its advantages.
👎 What’s Not So Great About The Gaiam Balance Ball Chair?
- HEIGHT LIMITED: Because of the shape of its back and arms, the Gaiam Balance Ball Chair is only really suitable for people around 5′ to 5′ 11”. This means that if you are outside of that range, or have a short or long torso for your height, you may find it does not fit your body as well as it could.
- NOT GOOD FOR INJURIES: Even though the Gaiam Balance Ball Chair is a great way of preventing chronic pain, sprains, and other damage related to sitting for too long, if you already have an injury the instability could make the injury worse, or more painful.
- UNRELIABLE BUILD: Some users have reported that not all the elements of the Gaiam Balance Ball Chair are fitted as effectively as they could be. At the very least you will need to check it over and make sure that it is robust enough to bear your weight. You may find you wish to send it back for a repair or replacement.
- NOT MOVEABLE: Because of its size and shape, it is very awkward to move with you if you need it in multiple rooms. It is also not at all discrete, and many people may feel uncomfortable using it in an office setting for that reason.
🤔 Is The Gaiam Balance Ball Chair A Great Purchase?
If you are under 300 pounds, of the right height, and do not feel uncomfortable about using it, then it is well worth the money. It will do your back wonders and protect you against poor posture and injury.
No. 4: LCH High Back Mesh Office Chair
Often it is not easy to find a cheap yet suitable ergonomic desk or office chair. Which is ridiculous, considering how much of our lives we spend sitting down these days! From when we start school most of our day is spent in chairs that are not at all conductive to comfort, focus, and good health. The end result of spending so much time in uncomfortable, maladaptive chairs is that we suffer from back pains, knee and hip problems, and all sorts of ailments related to this.
Unless it is practical for you to quit your job, or take up exercising between emails, you need to swap to a better chair. The LCH High Back Mesh Office Chair is a great choice, providing a cheap and practical alternative to the usual office chairs.
👍 What’s So Great About The LCH High Back Mesh Office Chair?
- ERGONOMIC: This chair curves to fit the shape of the human back, providing steady support which will give you relief from back pain. Unlike normal office chairs, school chairs, and desk chairs, which have low, straight backs, this one has a high back which curves to support your entire spine.
- ATTRACTIVE AND ORDINARY: Some ergonomic furniture can be pretty outlandish, which may put you off using it at work. This chair looks very much like a standard high back office chair, which makes it a lot less awkward to use in public. It is also fairly inexpensive, making it a great option to use at work, or somewhere else where it may be borrowed or damaged.
- COOL AND CLEAN: The combination of materials makes it perfect for use in warm and humid environments, as it is both breathable and thin, preventing heat buildup. It is also something you can wipe clean easily, saving time and energy cleaning it down.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing just under 30 pounds makes this chair a great option for having at work, or in an environment where you may need to move it a lot. It is easy to lift and carry, so you can clean around it, or even put it away for storage. Not only that, but it is a great option for people with limited mobility and strength, thanks not only to its weight but also to its wheels.
👎 What’s Not So Great About The LCH High Back Mesh Office Chair?
- RIGID ARMS: The arms are solid and cannot be lifted or detached. This makes it an awkward chair for anyone who does not have their arms at precisely the height these chair arms were fitted at. It also unnecessarily limits the width of the chair. This means that if you have a wide hip or a larger belly you may find the chair uncomfortable.
- NOT VERY PADDED: It depends on how much support and how much cushioning you want, but many people have noted that the lack of padding is not comfortable for them. Some more expensive ergonomic chairs feature fully padded backs, arms, seats, etc. This one only has padding in the headrest, meaning you may need to add pillows for back padding, ruining the support.
- NOT ADJUSTABLE: Besides the height of the seat, nothing on this chair is adjustable. The arms do not move or come off, the head rest cannot be moved up or down and the curves in the back are always at the same height. If you are between five foot five and six foot it will probably suit you quite well. But if you are below or above that range you may find that the curves are in the wrong place to offer you proper back support.
🤔 Is The LCH High Back Mesh Office Chair A Great Purchase?
So great that it routinely sells out! Even though it is not very adaptable and has a few comfort issues, there is nothing better for the price. It is worth the cost of buying it, even if it is not the best out there.
No. 5: SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
Because we spend so much time sitting in front of desks, we are suffering a number of health problems involving our backs, knees, and feet. The human body is not actually designed to sit in a series of ninety degree angles for hours a day. Lower back pain, neck strain, headaches, tight knees, dead legs, and foot cramps result.
One product which seeks to tackle that problem is the SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair. This product puts us in a low-pressure kneeling position at our desks, taking a lot of pressure off our legs, elevating our feet, and protecting our joints, including our spine, against that unnatural ninety degree angle.
👍 What’s So Great About The SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair?
- BACK AND LEG PAIN RELIEF: For many of us the way we sit causes us serious discomfort and contributes to the development of back pain. The positioning of the knees and feet in this chair takes tension away from the back, providing relief from back pain. By moving the legs as well, it allows for better circulation, relieving leg pains.
- BETTER POSTURE: Many ergonomic chairs offer full support of all the joints in the body, supporting the curves of the spine, the hip sockets, and the knees. However over time using a chair with so much support causes our natural supports, our muscles, to weaken. By forcing us to engage in active rest, the SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair keeps our muscles strong, improving our day to day posture.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL: Because it is small and portable, the SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair is ideal for everyday use in a variety of settings. The most obvious one is at your desk when you work or when you study. But you can also use it when watching television, reading, playing videogames, or on the phone.
- COMFORTABLE: At first the SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair might come as a bit of a shock to the system. After all, you are used to your old chair! But most people find over time that the SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair is a more comfortable way of sitting. Especially because it reduces the overstretching and cramping which all too often comes with spending too long in a chair.
👎 What’s Not So Great About The SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair?
- WEIGHT LIMIT: 250lbs. This is a big issue for many people. A lot of people with joint problems carry some extra weight because their joint pains prevent them from exercising efficiently. And a lot of overweight people develop joint problems due to their weight. This weight limit, along with the awkward shape of the chair for someone with fuller thighs, may make it hard for many to use.
- HEIGHT ISSUES: Many shorter people find that they cannot get comfortable on it. Due to the angle your body is at, your full weight needs to be resting between both pads. But if your butt and knees cannot push properly into the pads at the same time, you will find the other body part is overworked, carrying all the weight. And although most tall people do not have an issue with it, if you are near to or over seven feet you may have trouble with it again.
🤔 Is The SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair A Great Purchase?
If you are of average height and under 250lbs, then the SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair is definitely a great addition to your home, office, or study. However for people with less typical weights and heights, it may prove more pain than pain relief.
There is also the matter of money. The SLEEKFORM Ergonomic Kneeling Chair is not prohibitively expensive, but it is not a cheap item either. If it provides genuine relief for you, then I am sure the cost was worth it. But if you do not experience the relief, or if it is awkward and causes you pain, then definitely make use of that 90 day returns period.